I have been neglecting this blog and I apologize for that! I’ve been so busy with personal things lately and projects around the house that I haven’t had a lot of free time to devote to this. I see that a lot of people are viewing my KonMari posts and I promise that I will be diving back into that process soon! My little brother is getting married next month so once all of the craziness dies down there will be more KonMari posts! For now, check out my most recent project that I originally posted on my book blog, The Worn Bookmark.
I have finally completed my book journal project. Although it’s not so much a book journal as it is a binder with different sections to keep track of things like my wishlist and my collections. If the ring size had been bigger I may have had more room to keep a section with an area to take notes on the book I’m reading at the moment. I am extremely happy with how this project came out! Like I mentioned in my original post about this (see that here), I had been looking to make something like this for a long time but could never figure out exactly how I wanted to do it. I was searching on Pinterest for what seemed like the millionth time when I finally came across two pins that in combination would make exactly what I was looking for. I will have the links for those two posts at the bottom of this post. This post is going to have a lot of photos! I’m only going to use the medium size so you can get the general idea but feel free to click on any of them to see the full size image! 🙂
I got the materials I needed at Target and on Amazon. In total it cost around $25 to make. I would have loved to make it in a Filofax type binder like the original blogs but I just don’t have that kind of money right now.
I got this super cute binder at Target for only $3.99. They also had a pink one with flamingoes and a salmon colored one with pineapples on it. I’m not a huge fan of pink so I went with the mintish green with zebras. It’s not a full size binder, it fits 5.5 X 8.5 sheets of paper.
I added 4 sections using Avery dividers that I got from Amazon. You can write on the tabs. On each divider I put a graphic that I either made or found online that I felt went perfectly with whatever that section was for.The first section I have is my wishlist. I also have a wishlist started on my Goodreads page but I wanted to have a physical copy as well.
My next section is my Acquisitions section. I found this fun quote graphic on Pinterest and decided it would go perfectly for this section! I used the word Acquisitions because I will also be including any ARCs I receive and also any gifts from friends or family so not everything written down will be a book I purchase.
I have 5 columns for this section. First is the date, then title, then place (or person if gift), $ amount and format. I am trying to be better about buying books so I think this will help me keep an eye on how much I am spending.
Then each month has a page and I numbered it down the side. One line per day. Every day that I read, I write down the title of the book I read that day. If I didn’t read at all then it stays blank. I want to have as few blank days as I can manage.
The final section is My Collection. For this one there are really two parts to the section. The first part is for my physical books and the second is for my Kindle books. I got two sets of the A-Z labeled tabs from Avery.
Rather than have a list of the titles, I felt like I needed to have photos to remind myself of what the cover looked like. I tend to forget all about the Kindle books I own and it’s easier for me to remember what the book is about if I can see the cover. Then to mark if I have read the book I got these cute little smiley face stickers. If I have read the book, I put the sticker in the upper left corner of the cover.
To make the cover photo pages I copy and pasted the photos from Goodreads into a Word document, shrank them down so they are all 1.5 inches long. Then I changed the margin setting so that they would fit easily onto the 5.5 x 8.5 paper. Since each lettered tab has two (and occasionally three) on it I decided to just combine the two letters onto one sheet. For these I decided to organize them by title rather than author. After I printed them out, I cut them to size and used double sided tape to adhere them to the paper.Then I went through and marked them with the smiley stickers if I had read the books.
You might have noticed that each of the pieces of paper is a colored border on the side with the holes punched. Originally the paper was all white but I love color so I wanted to add a splash of color to each sheet while also protecting the holes from getting torn. So I used my washi tape collection to make that happen.
To re-punch the holes I took another blank sheet and laid it over the top to make sure I had the holes lined up perfectly. Some of the washi tape was transparent enough to see where the holes but some were more opaque. Then I used my single hole punch to re-punch the holes through the washi tape. I opted for the single punch instead of buying an actual 7-hole punch because of the price difference. A single hole punch cost me less than $3 whereas the 7-hole punches run closer to $30. So it wasn’t a hard decision to make.
And so there you have it! My book journal-ish binder is now complete and I absolutely love it!
Here are the links to my inspiration: